What makes me so mad about all this
This really isn't about education at all. It's one thing to deceive people
about your record. It's another thing to, in light of those facts, continue to ignore the
facts and continue mislead people. And to have zero to negative progress on your
issue in your 6 years as governor is unacceptable!
#1: It's a trust issue
- His campaign website has a list of
accomplishments in education which all disappear under scrutiny
deliberately did things to impede education, yet takes credit for the
- He takes credit for gains that completely defy common sense (the
"unreal" gains in TAAS scores)
He's known about TAAS scores being bogus for a long time. Even
the press widely reported it [Dallas Morning News, 8/17/99, 9/22/99,
4/30/99; Houston Chronicle, editorial, 8/8/95; U.S. News &
World Report, 7/19/99]
- He continues to try to deceive us by not acknowledging the facts: that, if
you look at data from 1994 onwards, all
the trusted independent data is consistent and shows no gains and a widening
of the achievement gap
- He must have known that the educational gains were bogus: the gains
reported in TAAS were
impossible large, and the independent data (available for over 2 years)
showed nothing was happening. He had 2 years to figure this out.
- He has hired either incompetent or dishonest staff people around him. None
of them figured it out either and publicly came out and said, "These
numbers are cooked."
- He ignored Haney's paper which pointed this out. He should have taken it
seriously. He should have asked "who is right?"
- He didn't come clean when he was caught when the the second RAND paper
- He shouldn't attack a paper that has been peer reviewed on a timing issue
- He couldn't explain how the reports could be consistent so he chose to
take the report that favored him (and disagreed with other leading
- He proposed three completely bogus explanations
to try to hide from the truth using a smokescreen:
- incomplete data: total bullshit. (See attacks)
- timing of the report (See attacks)
- disagrees with earlier report (See attacks)
- He can't explain the other independent data that agrees with Klein
- He needs to come clean about his record:
- no progress
- gap widened
- serious declines in other areas
- He has no right to brag about the superior performance of Blacks and
Hispanics in Texas. It's been that way for a decade.
#2: It's a performance issue on his only major accomplishment (and on the
top issue of his campaign)
- The data shows there was no improvement and the gap widened
- Can't trust what he says (as in the TAAS scores and see how
I expose the rest of his claims on his website)
- Can't trust him to deliver on his top priority (imagine how he'll
do on lower priorities!)
- Can't trust to acknowledge the truth overwhelming independent third
party data showing there is no achievement under his term as governor
A personal note to Governor Bush
- Start believing scientific data. Global warming is real, my friend.
And your TAAS scores are crap. You'd have to be a moron not to see that.
Every piece of trusted research and every independent score shows that.
- Own up to the truth: you did nothing in Texas to brag about. Your
top accomplishment is a "Texas Tall Tale" based on "fuzzy
- Change your campaign slogan to: "George W. Bush: A Reformer Without
Results." It's more accurate and would help your credibility.
- Change your TV ad to: "I trust you, but you can't trust
me." At least that way, it's more believable.
- Change your campaign website to re-direct people to: http://www.georgebush2000.com.
You'll be perceived as more honest when you let people know the educational
accomplishments that you are most proud of, you know, stuff like:
- 42% of students who enter a Texas public high school never
receive a diploma and over half of those who are lost are Hispanic.
The dropout rate has increased by 9 percentage points since1985-1986
- ...etc... (see Bush's Education Stats)
- Hire Molly Ivins as
your new publicist. She can help you communicate clearly what is going on so
you won't be misleading people. In the meantime, you can tell people to
check out the BushFiles web site at http://www.bushfiles.com
so that you'll portray an image of integrity.
- And, finally, next time, if you are going to challenge a scientific study,
challenge it with facts, not with bullshit obfuscations, ok? Read
my document for instructions. Don't ever do that again. It makes me
really mad when you do that. It's just not the right thing to do.
Political Home Page